Friday 2 December 2016

Death of a merry-maker.

I am writing under some stress today. I think helps in taking it out.

 

Someone died today. And instead of families rushing to pay respect or drop tears, a different face of humanity comes forward. I see people cribbing how the old man behaved with them. How miser he was in old age, while easily forgetting the age and medical condition he was going through. Concern is what is left in will and who will get what.

 

I can only think of sahir;

 

Yeh duniya agar mil bhe jaye toh kya hai.

 

I remember him as most happy go lucky person. He lived his life full, smoking drinking and making merry. He encouraged me so much and always remembered the bond we shared. He was suffering from Alzheimer and even forget my name and who I was. The last meeting I had to tell him number of times during conversation who I am and how we are related. But then he had moments during the same conversation about things I use to do as kid. How I fought him not to leave me alone at home during summer breaks, how he treated me with rasgullas when I wanted. How I use to through water balloons on him when at Holi I went to his home. During one night I with my cousin brother and little sister were sleeping in same room with him, we all were giggling and then he farted like a bomb blast; OMG we just laughed so hard that I fell from bed. Some might say what a wasted thoughts and memories. But it’s one of those moments when I know I laughed like world is coming to end and I don’t care a shit.

 

He was man of very progressive thoughts. He wanted me to read as much as possible to gain knowledge. He was an encyclopedia on shayari and one just needed to sit with him on drinks and he could continuously recite shayari for hours. He loved his family and they might feel different but I know. Once I was reading to him story books and I remember it was something about lawyer and his case. In the end, he just told me “Son, your English is better than lawyers I have seen arguing in courts and are 40 year olds. Keep reading and keep learning”. I was 12-13 year old and I remember the impact these words had on me. No one had ever encouraged me more than him.

 

I am very sad today but then I am also very happy. He should have died few years earlier so that he didn’t suffered so much. He couldn’t walk or think and lost all his friends. Dying lonely is very bitter experience I feel. Rather than long life, a happy short one is better and I pray to God the same for me. I would rather die in an instant than waiting for death every day. Last time I met him, I wished speedy death for him. That a truth. Even if not something I should have done but yes I did. 

 

Thank you GOD for giving him freedom from this world. I will have a drink tonight to celebrate.



No comments:

Post a Comment